Courtnall Celebrity Classic Fast Facts
The third Courtnall Celebrity Classic will take place this summer, July 22 to 24, 2011, at the Victoria Golf Course and Fairmont Empress Hotel. Previous Courtnall Celebrity Classics, held in 2003 and 2004, raised more than $2 million for the Victoria Hospitals Foundation and helped opened the doors to the Archie Courtnall Centre, a Psychiatric Emergency Services Unit at the Royal Jubilee Hospital.
- The 2011 Courtnall Celebrity Classic will be emceed by Ron MacLean, host of Hockey Night in Canada.
- Events for the weekend include a fundraising dinner, silent and live auction and celebrity golf tournament.
- Past celebrity supporters include Don Felder, Wayne Gretzky, Jim Treliving and Pamela Anderson. And while the Courtnalls are keeping their lips sealed so far, rumour has it that a number of big names will be gracing the Victoria scene this summer.
- Funds raised from the 2011 Classic will go towards the $4 million needed for mental health care equipment for the new 500-bed Patient Care Centre at the Royal Jubilee Hospital, part of the Victoria Hospitals Foundation’s overall $25 million Building Care Together campaign.
- The Building Care Together campaign represents the largest single investment to-date towards improving health care services in the region and funds raised will go towards the best available medical equipment and patient support.
- The Courtnall Celebrity Classic first evolved from the Courtnall Classic, a tremendously successful fundraiser conceived by Geoff and Russ Courtnall to help the children of Canuck Place. The gala dinner and fishing derby ran for three consecutive years (1995 through 1997) and raised more than $1.5 million.
- The Courtnall brothers, Russ, Geoff and Bruce, were born in Duncan, British Columbia and spent their early years in nearby Lake Cowichan before the young family relocated to Victoria. Russ and Geoff had successful careers in the NHL while Bruce is an accomplished financial planner, working for one of Canada’s most successful financial planning firms.
Deirdre Campbell, Tartan Group: 250-592-3838, 250-882-9199 (cell) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kate Rogers, Tartan Group: 604-880-1494 (cell) or email@example.com
Susan Gee, Victoria Hospitals Foundation: 250-893-1823 or firstname.lastname@example.org