Mental Health in the New Patient Care Centre
For the first time at Royal Jubilee Hospital, both geriatric and adult mental health patients will be cared for in the same building as other acute patients. Four full units and 82 beds in the new Patient Care Centre will be entirely dedicated to caring for patients with acute mental health needs, including a 10 bed secured Adult Mental Health – Intensive Care Unit.
- Eric Martin Pavilion will be reconfigured to provide comprehensive services for outpatients, education programs and ongoing treatment for individuals with mental health needs such as mood disorders or schizophrenia.
- The inclusion of mental health facilities alongside general health care marks an important new chapter in mental health treatment at Royal Jubilee Hospital.
- The integrated design of the Patient Care Centre will help to de-stigmatize patients with mental health needs and remove the perception of their need to be separated from other patients in hospital.
- Integration will significantly improve the access of mental health patients to appropriate medical treatment.
- Integration will also benefit patients in other medical units who may have mental health needs but who were admitted for other medical reasons.
- The Patient Care Centre will also have a dedicated Seniors Mental Health Unit configured with a secured, complex dementia area and an adjacent area focused on mild dementia and geriatric psychiatry services.
- Mental Health in the new Patient Care Centre will work in tandem with the psychiatric emergency services in the Archie Courtnall Centre at Royal Jubilee where assessment and triage occur within 24 hours. Patients who require a longer length of stay will be transferred to the Patient Care Centre.
For More Information:
Susan Gee, Acting Senior Manager, Communications & Recognition
Victoria Hospitals Foundation
250-893-1823, or email@example.com